vrijdag 19 januari 2007

Nice interview with Normann Stadler

We have been asking Ironman world champion Normann Stadler how he would take it down to finish an Ironman!


How much training do you usually do over a week? What volume of training do you do in a high volume week?
In preparation for the ironman races like Hawaii 2004 I trained six weeks 30 to 40 hours a week. I did about 25-30km in the pool, 600-800km on the bike and 90-120km running.

How much emphasis do you place on your food and fluid choices during training and as a long-time PowerBar athlete how do you use the various PowerBar products to assist your daily nutrition training needs?
The most important thing during training is getting enough fluid. I get about one liter per hour together with liquid carbohydrates and minerals. For me PowerBar Performance Sports Drink drink is the best way to stay hydrated. I use it together with PowerGel. After my training sessions I take a Vanilla- Protein Bar or Chocolate-PowerBar-protein-drink together with fresh fruits. During the day I have two to three HarvestBars.

Do you have any favourite training foods you rely on during long training sessions?

My favourite food during a long training session includes Powergel Vanilla ( I have one every hour) and Powerbar Vanilla Crisp.

In the lead up to a big race how much emphasis do you place on your nutritional preparation and is there anything you do specifically in the couple of days leading in?
During my preparation for a race I have no sweets, no white bread and no sugar-added drinks. I eat a lot of vegetable, fruits, white meat (proteins) in combination with pasta or whole wheat products. Right before the race I eat more carbohydrates, less protein and I drink a lot. At this time it´s o.k. to enjoy icecream or chocolate, if necessary…

Fluid intake is crucial during an ironman race. Do you have any hourly goals you try to meet while racing and is there any drink in particular you use?
I start with my Powerbar drink but during the race I have to take the official drinks, which is PowerBar in Nice. Hourly I have minimum one liter (half pure water, half energy drink). It´s important to substitute minerals, especially sodium. For that reason I always have salt-tablets with me.

For most athletes during an ironman the run presents a range of difficulties in meeting their nutrition needs. What nutrition tactics do you employ on the run during an ironman event?
Directly after the bike I start drinking Coke and (as on the bike) I have every 30 minutes a PowerGel. This is how it works best for ME! Everybody must discover their own way how to handle the running.

How many PowerBars and PowerGel’s did you used during your championships Race 2004?

Far over 20 gels and 3 bars, allot of fuel and energy to save my victory in Kona !

Is there any nutrition tips you would pass onto an athlete doing there first ironman race?
Eat and drink as much as you can!! But even more important is to test your race nutrition during training. If the official nutrition differs to the one you´re used to, get it prior to the race! Because even a new flavour can worsen your performance. So test all the products you are going to eat on your way to Ironman France in Nice.

Geen opmerkingen: